A crate provides a quiet place where dogs can relax and sleep. It is essential for any dog owner
Dog crates are essential for dogs who spend long hours alone at home. They provide a safe place for your dog to sleep, eat, play, and relax. However, if you want to buy a crate, you might nd it hard to choose the right one.
There are different types of crates available on the market. Some are made of plastic, while others are wooden. The latter ones are often considered to be better because they are more durable and easier to clean.
If you want to make a wooden crate yourself, then you should follow these simple steps.
How do you make a dog crate out of wood
Choose Your Wood
The first step in making a wooden dog crate is choosing which type of wood will suit your needs best.
You have several options when selecting the kind of wood that you need. For example, you can use pine or cedar boards. These woods work well as they are strong enough but also easy to cut. If you prefer plywood instead, you should go with medium-density fiberboard since this material has good strength and durability.
However, before buying wood, check whether it’s free from chemicals such as formaldehyde, arsenic, lead, etc. This way, you won’t risk harming your pet’s health by consuming them.
You may also consider purchasing pre-cut pieces of wood so that you don’t have to waste time cutting down boards. In addition, you can opt for ready-made crates that come already assembled.
How do you know what size to get?
When deciding how big your dog crate should be, think about its purpose. Do you plan to house multiple pets? Or keep one dog inside the crate? Also, take into account the space available in your room. Will there be other furniture around? How much floor area does your dog require?
Before starting building, measure the dimensions of your dog crate. Then, add 10% extra to ensure that you have enough space left over for expansion purposes.
What tools do I need?
Before beginning construction, you’ll need some essential tools. Here we list all the materials required to build a wooden dog crate.
Wooden board – One 4×4 inch piece of wood works great for most projects. But if you’d like something more extensive, you could always purchase 2×6 or 6×12 sheets.
Screws – Use drywall screws to attach the sides of the crate.
Carpenter’s glue – Glue is used to seal joints between two surfaces. Apply it along the edges of the boards to prevent moisture from penetrating through the cracks.
Hammer & nails – Hammering nails help secure the crate together.
Drill & drill bits – Drill holes to allow air circulation.
Clamps – Clamp the corners of the crate during assembly.
Pencil & ruler – Measure the length and width of your crate after assembling it. Now write those measurements down. Remember to include the height of the top bar.
Measuring tape – To determine the exact amount of lumber required, measure each side of the crate.
Write down the results.
Level – Level off the bottom of the crate to avoid uneven floors.
Plastic storage bin – Plastic bins help protect your finished project from dust and dirt.
Paintbrush – Paint the outside of the crate to give it an excellent finish.
Steps involved in making a Wooden Dog Crate:
1) Cut the wood to size. Using a circular saw, make cuts at 45-degree angles on both ends of the long edge of the board. Repeat these steps until you’ve completed four slats.
2) Attach the slats using clamps. The number of slats depends upon the size of your crate. A typical crate requires six slats, while larger ones usually contain eight.
3) Once the slats are attached, clamp the corner seams together. When done correctly, the joint shouldn’t move even slightly.
4) Mark where the back panel goes. Place the back panel against the wall and mark out the position of the slots.
5) Remove the front panel and place it next to the back panel. Align the marks made earlier and trace the outline onto the boards.
Screw the panels together using drywall screws.
6) Drill holes to t the screw heads. Be sure not to over tighten the screws because doing so would cause damage to the surface of the wood.
7) Add finishing touches such as painting the exterior or applying stain to the interior.
8) Finally, fill up any gaps within the walls of the crate with filler strips.
9) Before placing anything inside, test the weight capacity of the crate. It might seem heavy now but once filled with toys, treats, bedding, blankets, etc., it will feel lighter than ever!
10) Enjoy watching your furry friend play!
Are our wooden crates suitable for dogs?
Yes, they can be beneficial for many reasons. They’re easy to clean, durable, and attractive. However, there are certain things that owners should know before buying one.
The first thing to consider when purchasing a crate is its design. There are different types available depending on what kind of use you want to put it into. If you have small pets who don’t require much space, then a simple wire cage may do just ne. On the other hand, if you plan to keep large animals such as cats or horses in your home, a more elaborate structure is necessary.
Another essential factor to take note of is how sturdy the material is. Some people prefer wooden crates over metal cages since they’re easier to care for. Wood also tends to last longer compared to plastic which means fewer maintenance costs. Also, wooden crates tend to be cheaper than their counterparts too.
What about safety, though? Are our wooden crates safe for my pet?
Indeed, wooden crates aren’t entirely risk-free. While they’re generally considered safer than regular cages, accidents still happen. For example, wooden crates fall off shelves when transported by car due to vibrations caused by bumps and turns. This could lead to injuries, especially for young puppies.
Another problem is that wooden crates often lack ventilation meaning your animal has little room to breathe correctly.
If possible, choose a crate that comes equipped with wheels. You can easily transport this type without having to worry about falling off the shelf.