Easy to follow instructions| No need to buy expensive tools| Save money| Fun to do
Wooden furniture has been around for centuries. It’s durable, long-lasting, and beautiful. However, making wooden furniture at home can be pretty expensive.
But there are ways to make your wooden furniture at home without spending too much money. This article will learn how to make simple wooden furniture using only a few tools and materials.
Steps to Make a DIY Wooden chair:
• Wood – Pine, Oak, Mahogany, Maple, Walnut, Teak, Cherry, Beech, Ash, Cedar…etc.
• Nails /screws
1) Cut the wood into pieces of the desired size. It will help if you cut it so that all parts fit together perfectly. If not, then sanding is required. Sanding is vital if you want a smooth finish on your chair. This step helps when screws or nails go through them later.
2) Drill holes in the backside of each piece. The drill hole needs to have a diameter equal to the screw head or nailhead.
3) Glue the two sides with their respective backs. Use super glue as it dries quickly. Let it dry completely before moving the chairs. Do not use any other type of adhesive because they take time to dry. They also require more effort while applying.
4) Screw/nail the legs onto the bottom part. These steps ensure the stability of the entire structure. Don’t forget to tighten up the nuts well after attaching the portion. Otherwise, it may come off during movement. Also, don’t put anything heavy on top of these legs.
5) Apply finishing touches like paint, stain, etc…
6) Enjoy! 🙂
Ways to Make a Wooden table:
Materials Needed :
• Wood – Pine, Oak, Mahogany, Maple, Walnut,…etc.
• Super Glue
1) Measure out the length and width of the table—Mark where the center point comes. Then mark 2cm from both ends. Draw lines connecting those points. Now draw another line perpendicular to the first one. Divide the area between the two lines into four sections. Each section measures 1 cm x 3 cm. So the total number of squares is 12. Remember to measure carefully; otherwise, it won’t work.
2) Using scissors, trim down the edges of the square. Trim down until it becomes a flat surface.
3) Take a hammer and hit the edge repeatedly till it starts breaking. Once it breaks, remove the remaining portion by hitting again. Repeat the same process on all four corners.
4) After removing excess material, apply superglue over the broken portions. Leave it overnight.
5) When it’s dried, start gluing the boards together. Start with the corner closest to you. Put some super glue along with the outermost board. Next, place the next board parallel to the previous one. And finally, attach the last board perpendicularly. Keep repeating the procedure as mentioned earlier till all the panels are glued together.
6) Before putting the final touch, i.e., painting, staining, etc., let the whole thing dry completely
How to Build Pallet Furniture
Pallets can be used for many things such as building tables, benches, shelves, cabinets, beds, seats, storage boxes, planters, birdhouses, flower pots, toys, decorations, etc. Here we will discuss making pallet furniture, including bench, stool, cabinet, shelf, bed, dresser, coffee table, sofa, etc.
Collect enough pallets for your project. It would help if you collected old pallets from anywhere around your house. It doesn’t matter whether they are new or old but make sure they are free of rot and insects.
Here I am sharing an easy way to make a small bookcase made entirely out of pallets.
All you need is a saw, measuring tape, pencil, ruler, level, hammer, nails, screws, power drills, jigsaw, router, circular saw, cutting mat, and hand sander.
The dimensions of my bookshelf were 8 feet long, 5 feet wide, and 6 inches high. I chose to make it shorter than usual because I wanted to add additional space inside for storing magazines. But you can select whatever dimension suits you best.
Start by marking the middle of the front face of the longest plank. From here, divide the rest of the pallet into three equal parts. For example, if you have ten pallets, you would get 30 pieces.
Now, lay the longest pallet horizontally against the wall. Place the second-longest pallet vertically in the back so that it forms a right angle. The third pallet should also create 90-degree curves with the other two. This means that each piece has to fit perfectly flush against the others. If not, then adjust them accordingly. You may want to use a few shims under the joints to ensure perfect alignment.
Once this step is done, cut off any uneven portions using a jigsaw. Use a straightedge guide to help align the cuts precisely. Also, keep in mind that there might be slight gaps between the wood due to shrinkage during drying. These gaps don’t affect structural integrity, but they do look ugly. To fix these gaps, sand them smoothly before finishing up the job.
Drill pilot holes first to avoid splitting the wood later. Next, drill holes through the top side of every pallet. Center the hole near the end of the longest pallet. In case the hole isn’t centered correctly, move it slightly towards either direction. Do the same for the other sides.
After drilling, screw the legs onto the bottom of the frame. Screws must go through the entire thickness of the portion.
Finally, glue the tops of the legs onto the frame. Apply plenty of glue. Let the glue set for 24 hours. To finish off the project, stain the entire structure with dark walnut color paint. Allow the paint to dry thoroughly before moving on to the next steps.
These are some of the easy methods to make your wooden furniture simply at home and save money!